The cocktail zombie has a somewhat foggy past however there is one thing that seems to be the cause for the name of the drink: apparently everyone drinking it turn into a zombie…
Of course this has nothing to do with the cocktail containing some weird substances or chemicals that fiddles with your brain but merely the fact, that the zombie is a very potent and strong drink that will get you very drunk very fast, unless you take care of yourself.
- 1 oz light rum
- 1/2 oz Creme de Almond – almond liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz Sweet and sour syrup/mix
- 1/2 oz Triple sec – preferably alcoholic, but non-alcoholic brands works just fine)
- 1 1/2 oz freshly made orange juice
- 1/2 oz 51 proof rum – famous brands of overproof rum includes
Strohand Bacardi 151
- A cherry (for garnishing)
- A slice of orange (for garnishing)
- Ice cubes
How to mix
- Add all ingredients to a shaker and shake until condensation appears on the shaker.
- Pour mix through a strainer into a collins glass filled with ice cubes.
- When the cocktail settles, float the 151 proof rum on top of the cocktail.
- Garnish with a cherry and orange slice and serve immediately.
Some drink recipes will eventually grow beyond them selves, turning into more of a category and less of a uniformly served drink. The Zombie is one of those recipes. You can read more about the zombie as a category of drinks here: Zombie (dictionary)